Sunday, March 18, 2007

It's All in My Head

I have been blogging consistently over the past two weeks. I just haven't been writing to the blog or posting. I have the best of intentions. As I walk down the street, I compose the most striking and penetrating stories and commentary on life in the city. But then I get home, crack a beer, turn on the T.V. and never commit these thoughts to notebook. To a certain extent, I've started to narrate my life like John Dorian. (Erin says that this means I don't have enough friends.) But I realize this is both a lazy and selfish way to deal with life. So, for you, dear readers, and I mean both of you, I'll try to make more of an effort.

I've been thinking more about Victorian society as I've been working through The Age of Innocence, which I'm still undecided on. However, one passage in particular struck me as resonating with New York today, especially since I know so many women of around thirty lamenting their single status and their difficulties in finding marrigable men. (One friend, with whom I'm not even all that close, gave me the full breakdown on the status of her biological clock over drinks one night!) Here's the passage:

He had married (as most young men did) because he had met a perfectly charming girl at the moment when a series of rather aimless sentimental adventures were ending in premature disgust; and she had represented peace, stability, comradeship, and the steadying sense of an unescapable duty.
So, that's the secret. You have to be lucky enough to catch the guy at the right time, at a time when he's looking for stability, and then he'll feel obligated to marry you! This is really only funny because for many cases it's probably spot on true.

Running has been going fairly well as I've been striving for consistency. The last three weeks have been 22, 31 and 26 miles. I'm going to try to work up to around 40 over the next three weeks before cutting back for the Brooklyn Half-Marathon on April 14. Today's run, by the way, was loads of fun. It was 5.6 miles, with the first 2.5 into a headwind. They were extremely hard and I made the turnaround at the base of the Williamsburg Bridge after a tough 19:10 (7:40 pace). At that point, although I was climbing back up the Bridge, the wind assist was so great that I was moving at around a 6:40 mile going uphill and it was easier! The last 3.1, where the wind was either neutral or assisting I knocked out in a nice 21:35 (6:58 pace).

That's it from the land of Iphiclus. I have to go watch the alma mater play the Jayhawks of Kansas; but before I do, I'd like to add that I am so impressed that I don't have red-eye in this post.

2 comments:

nyflygirl said...

you owe me :-p

Ester said...

so my thought on your thoughts on Wharton is this - did a girl ever kiss a boy? probably. most likely. but was there a lot of intention communicated through language that today would be considered meaningless? barely even register on the scale of harmless flirting? definitely. so, I find enjoyment in following them followintg and commentating on their breaking of their rules of the "game" . It is surely more nuanced than "hey what's your number"?

Of course, I'm frustrated with the depicted shallowness of "making love" by modern standards, regardless of the author. My contemporary self says "who cares at whom one makes 'doe eyes'?" and makes some flirtatious remark, that's the 'game' or politeness or what ev, it's not splaying one's tailfeathers to attract a mate!" But, I find the study of the importance attached by the authors to be very interesting.

PS - you're running rocks. hopefully one day I'll be a runner again too, instead of just a literary commentator.

PPS - where's your irish dude? I've just spent a week with my irish heritage referred to on all business calls. It was St. Patrick's day after all.