Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Matt Lauer

I love Matt Lauer! You can always count on him for some sort of asinine comment. This morning I arrived home from my run (I saw the dog again; this time I didn't wave at the owner), turned on the T.V., and as I was making coffee overheard this exchange with the jacket artist of the soon-to-be-released Harry Potter finale:

  • Matt: So, exactly how long does it take to print twelve million books?
  • Guest (looking confused by the question): Uhm, a few weeks.
  • Matt: Oh, that fast?
  • Guest: Yeah.
Matt, Matt, we have advanced printing techniques now. By and large, we haven't made books by hand for some 500 years. Of course, this pales in comparison to when, after announcing that Fred Thompson had announced his candidacy for president a few weeks ago, Lauer asked, "But can an actor really be president?" Doesn't anyone screen that man's teleprompter?!?

Today's run went well, with the exception that the shin splint I mentioned in yesterday's post hurts a little more. I'm now icing and anti-inflamatorying it. After the run, I was also solicited for medical advice. Some random on the street runs up yelling "Sir! Sir! When you have a pain here (gestures from his lower back along the outside of his hip to the top of his thigh), what do you do about it?" I demure with a, "Ice? I don't know." He walks off with a "Oh, you've never had that? Fine." Great, I guess Brooks shoes equal medical license?

4.15 Miles:29:45 @ 7:10/mile.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Yup, sounds right. I also find stretching out my shin by pointing my toes forward helps too.

I'm certain speed is a contributing factor. I wouldn't classify these runs as particularly difficult, but they certainly aren't "jogs." However, historically for me S.S.s have been a problem whenever I increase miles at a stupid rate (like doing 21 miles over this past weekend, followed by another 8.5 on Tuesday, when I've barely been hitting 30 in a full week). I'm pretty sure that the speed would've been okay, if I'd stayed closer to the 10% rule (or, the miles might have been okay, if I'd run slower). C'est la vie.

We should do a real-life introduction sometime, SL. Running Brooklyn?