Sunday, August 13, 2006

On Strength

Zeke has been conducting an informal survey of marathon times versus mileage over the past few weeks and just posted the results. It's really interesting in that it shows an almost linear correlation between average weekly mileage run and marathon time improvement, that is, up to about 80 miles weekly average where the line begins to flatten out. The survey results depict graphically what many people know (even if we've never personally experienced it) to be true -- more miles equals better results. Although statisticians may quibble over the details, it's sufficient to alleviate whatever doubts I may have had about mileage.

However, I would note that the survye doesn't take into account a person's being on the so-called "improvement curve" as a new runner. In personal experience, my half-marathon time dropped over 15 minutes after 2 years of averaging about 20 miles a week. On the other hand, in a way this further illustrates Zeke's point that more mileage equals better results. The weekly view simply doesn't capture what was happening. Allow me to illustrate, although I was running 20 miles/week during my first half marathon build-up, my 3 year rolling average was much less:

  • Year 1 = 0, Year 2 = 0 Year 2.0-2.5=0 Year 2.5-3.0= 20/week.
  • That comes up to about 500 miles over three years--an average of about 3 miles per week for the period
In my second half-mary, the three year rolling average was more like:
  • Year 1=15/week, Year 2=15/week, Year 3=20/week
  • That comes up to about 2500 miles over three years -- a rolling average of about 16 miles per week for the period
So, even though weekly mileage didn't increase, leading into the second race my yearly average mileage was much, much higher. This is why the most successful marathoners are in their late 20's and 30's. It takes time to build up the yearly rolling average necessary to be a great marathoner.

Fascinating. This is a fantastic survey in that, if nothing else, it promises continued improvement over time for anyone willing to put in the effort to succeed. This is truly a sport that rewards the patient.

Week-in-Review

MondayTuesdayWed.ThursdayFridaySaturdaySundayTotal
Rest10.7 miles4.1 miles11.3 milesRest21 miles6.75 miles53.9
--Tempo7:39/m7:46/m -- 7:43/m7:47/m --


This is my first week over 50 -- ever. However, in line with Zeke's survey, I can report some personal successes that I'd attribute to the increased mileage. In my first marathon training, wherein I averaged approximately 20 miles per week for the duration, my 21 mile run knocked me flat for 2 days. In this cycle, as you can see from this week, I followed up 21 with a relatively quick 6 and change the following day. Also, I find it encouraging that this 21 mile training run was faster than my marathon race pace during my last Mary. Some of that is due to starting training at what I peaked at the last time (30 miles/week). Some is due to having a few more years to build my rolling yearly average mileage. Hopefully these positive signs will carry forward. There are 11 weeks to go, and I'm itching to hit a fitness-gauge race to see where I am and what goals I should shoot for. I don't think my ability to hit the 3:10 BQ is in question, I'm wondering how far below that to aim. Although the Club Championship next week should give me some good information, I'm dying for Greta's Gallop Half Marathon, which is four weeks before the MCM and should give me a solid view of what I can expect. Can't wait!

2 comments:

nyflygirl said...

you actually do know someone who trains in excess of 70mpw (a certain coach of ours was doing 100-mile weeks in prep for Boston! yowza.)

i think my own running experience may differ a little from your theory :) a good majority of my PRs are from '04, which was the first year I was really running seriously, and for the most part, averaging around 30mpw. but then again, i was a serious gym rat before i started running (probably spent more hours per week in the gym than i currently spend running in a week!) so maybe I am a unique case. or something. :)

another good article that you may be interested in...take a look at the Aug-Sept '04 Flyer newsletter...I think this excerpted line from the article speaks to your point: "The Marathon is the race in which your seasoned self has the best chance of outperforming your rookie self.
The Marathon requires less raw speed than shorter races. Experience and training strategy play a greater role."

ah yes, I have the same 2 races as my tune-up races (with the NYC Half thrown in for fun) Don't think either 2 will make me adjust my goals, but I hope for reassurance that sub-4 is doable. i am excited for saturday though, i think it will be a fun race. and as for you, you're kicking some a$$. keep up the good work...the BQ is in sight...

Jon said...

Right. I couldn't average 30/wk when I started. Just getting to 20 consistently took quite a while.

The goal problem is that I've never really set the target pace, just a 10 minute finish range. My dilemma is whether to aim for 3:05 or 3:00 or 3:07. I would really hate to aim for 3:05, crash and finish in 3:12 when if I'd tried 3:07 I'd have BQ'd. I'm just going to wait for the results of these races to definitively decide.