Thursday, August 10, 2006

Resolution -- Failed

After reading this article on Joe LeMay, a 2:13 marathoner who works a 9-6 job with a 40+ minute commute and runs two workouts daily, I made a resolution that I wouldn't complain about how work interferes with my running hobby anymore. I figured that if I wanted to do it and do it well, I'd just need to suck it up and make time. However, I've found that I just have to get in one last whine. Getting home from the office at 10:30p makes getting up at 5:30 for a 11-miler really suck! (If I wanted to lawyer-ize this, I'd say I wasn't complaining about work, but lack of sleep. But I can take responsibility for failure, damn it! No arguing on the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin at this blog.) In lighter fare, Joe LeMay has published the best endorsement for fiber supplements that I've ever read -- ever. (Uh, not that I've read that many plugs for fiber supplements. . .)

Halfway through the 50 mile week! Tonight's the Flyers Summer Social, which should be a good time. I've pre-paid on the theory that'll make me more likely to actually leave the office by 8 to go. Despite lack of sleep the last few days, my runs have been excellent. I think it's that the temps have dropped down into the upper 60's to low 70's in the mornings combined with last week's step-back in mileage. For example, today I felt like I was going slow, but every checkpoint was ahead of plan. Of course, it could just be that I bought new shoes.

Wednesday: Pulaski O&B: 4.1 miles in 31:23 (7:39 pace).
Thursday: Queensboro Bridge Loop: 11.3 miles in 87:44 (7:46 pace)

By the way, the Queensboro Loop's one of my favorite runs. Not because it takes you past the UN, or treats you to vast panoramic views of Midtown, or because it let you run directly along the East River. Oh No. It one of my favorites because it takes you past the Long Island City Taxi Garage! All those bright yellow cabs in the morning make me smile like the bright yellow sun does.

4 comments:

Thomas said...

Joe LeMay was one of my inspirations when I started running, the other one was Rod DeHaven, because both of them managed to combine a full-time job with fantastic marathon times (not that I'll ever be able to get within 1 hour of their times, but that's a different point)

Anonymous said...

All work (and running) makes Jon a celibate boy. ;0) No energy for the rest.

Jon said...

Hey! This is a family friendly blog!

nyflygirl said...

"All those bright yellow cabs in the morning make me smile like the bright yellow sun does."

can i have some of whatever you were on when you wrote this? :-p