Friday, October 06, 2006

Drowsy

I went to see The Drowsy Chaperone at the Marquis Theatre over the weekend and I have to recommend this piece of theatre fluff. The basic plot is double layered. On the one hand, the plot follows the ambiguously heterosexual, theatre-obsessived "Man in Chair." "Man in Chair" has an overly active imagination, and when he begins playing an old recording of the fake, 1920s era musical The Drowsy Chaperone, his small studio apartment is transformed into a Broadway stage. The songs in the musical spoof are awful, the characters are two-dimensional, and the plot asinine, but they're really just there as a foil to develop the "Man in Chair" (and to provide some smooth tap dancing). On the other hand, throughout the course of the performance "Man in Chair" steadily interacts with and comments on the musical, revealing the real emotional power of the piece. While I will concede that the production has a certain Mystery Science Theater 3000 feel to it, by the end of the show you can't help but identify with "Man in Chair" and his need for escapism into the world of fantasy and a well-loved story.

I skipped the interval part of Pfitzinger's recommended 10 miles with 4X1200 Wednesday, due to the legs still being somewhat tender from Sunday's race. Amazingly, I felt more recovered during my 10 on Thursday after running 10 on Wednesday. Things must be going well if 10 miles can be a recovery run.

Tuesday: WB O&B, 5 miles, 38:30 (7:42/mile)
Wednesday: BMW Run, 10.4 miles, 80:45 (7:46/mile)
Thursday: BS Run, 10.25 miles, 77:02 (7:31/ mile)

2 comments:

nyflygirl said...

Speed was not in the cards for me this week either... (good thing, I heard the workout was Harlem Hill...I think I had enough of that on Sunday!)

Things look to be going well for you, indeed! Taper must be right around the corner...

BTW-i think we may have been in your viscinity last night...very cool course (and nice dress rehearsal for NYC too!)

Jon said...

You were, you were! I live a couple doors down from "the Conselyea School" on your map. (They have an elementary teacher who gets excited whenever he sees me because "We've GOT FLYERS in Brooklyn!") Personally, I don't like running Bedford Ave. in that direction because it's congested and traffic's at your back. Although I guess as marathon-prep it's a good idea.