Tuesday, September 12, 2006

1883

Slow down rabbit-run. Must have been excited about getting my MCM bib number (1883), because I tried my best to fly through today's run, which was the Pulaski O&B modified so I could hit McCarren Park's track for some intervals. I caught my watch at 2/3 of a mile . . . 4:00 flat including time waiting on traffic! Where the hell'd that come from?!? Last week I couldn't break 8:00mm for a run and this morning I'm going faster than my planned interval pace on the warmup? I, ahem, slowed down at that point but still went through 2.75 miles at 7:17 pace. For those of you keeping score at home, BQ pace is 7:15.

I was actually kind of nervous at that point. I mean, this was supposed to be the warmup for 5X600m and I still had 1.25 miles to go before I even got to the track! But the intervals went off pretty well. They were a little tougher than the same workout two weeks ago. On the other hand, in the workout two weeks ago my "warmup" wasn't quite so tough. In fact, the prior workout had an overall average about 20s/mile less tough.

Oh, and the knee felt fantastic today. Back to normal, back on the horse.

8 miles: 57:55 (7:14 avg pace), including
5X600m@ 2:15, 2:05, 2:10, 2:10, 2:08

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some reason, I get excited about track workouts and always run my warmups for those faster than usual. I think it's a runner thing.

nyflygirl said...

i do as well-but part of it I think is the shoes, since I wear my lightweight ones for speedwork...you just feel like going so much faster in those.

Jon said...

You two don't think the more likely explanation is the extra rest day I took nursing my sore knee?

My DC running buddy convinced me not to do intervals in racers. As Babs put it: "The extra few ounces per shoe will pay off in the race if you don't wear them to train."