Monday, September 25, 2006

Retirement . . .

. . . for my old(er) shoes. Almost 400 miles and they've started giving me shin splints. I ordered my marathon shoes yesterday. Perhaps they'll arrive in time for Grete's this weekend.

We cut short the planned 2.5 hour trail run over the weekend. Everyone was still pretty wiped from last week's 20 miler and some early clif precip mountai hills pretty much zapped what was left in the legs. Only about 2 hours and a little shy of 15 miles.

Sunday was supposed to be a recovery run. I did the Billy Bridge O&B. Supposed to be a recovery run, I say, but at 35:11 for 5 miles, it was MP pace. This isn't all that surprising. For my last marathon, by the last week or so before tapering, thanks to the speed work and endurance work over 10ish weeks, my "normal" run paces started dropping closer to MP. However, last time I wasn't quite so up on feeling the pace. So, I wouldn't have known except we'd be halfway through a 9 miler and Babs, my D.C. running buddy who was a former college track guy, would say something like, "Jack, why are we doing your marathon pace?" So it goes.

This week's plan's basically the same as two weeks ago, except I'm going to rearrange the second half a bit to get a short taper before the race. I want to go in ready because (1) I'm having competition withdrawal and want to run hard and (2) I really would like a legitimate fitness check for the marathon.

Week in Review

MondayRest -- --
Tuesday8.1 miles1:02:18
7:41/mile
Wednesday8.4 miles 1:02:20
w/5X1000
7:25 avg.
3:42/int.
Thursday11.4 miles86:15
7:34/mile
FridayRest -- --
Saturday 14.75miles
1:57:00
7:56/mile
Sunday5.0 miles35:11
7:02/mile
Total47.6 Miles -- --

1 comment:

Thomas said...

If you can run MP without even knowing it, you must be in good shape. I predict the tune-up race will confirm that.