Saturday, September 23, 2006

Words

I saw a fantastic word in a case yesterday. “eleemosynary” The gist of the usage was "In constructing a contract entered into by sophisticated business persons, one should use the construction that would reflect the intent of a reasonable business person, rather than an eleemosynary construction."

I admit, I had to look this one up. (Another attorney's reaction to it was, "Is that even a real word?") According to Merriam it means “of, relating to, or supported by charity,” and derives from the late Latin "eleemosyna," which is obviously a Greek borrowing. "Eleemosyna" is also, apparently, the ultimate parent to “alms.”

We're off to Rockefeller Park today for 2.5 hours of trails. CM of the Flyers is being very eleemosynary in giving me a ride since MTA has shut down the 'L' train . . . again. Earlier this week, I did 5 by 1000 at (guessimated) 5K pace of 5:55/mile. That's a lot faster than my last 5K, but as since that race was over a year ago I think the time's pretty soft. The last one was sort of tough, but I kind of expected that because of my bad math on Tuesday.

Wednesday: 8.4 miles, 62:20 (7:25 avg) with 5X1000m @ 3:43, 3:42, 3:43, 3:41, 3:40
Thursday: 11.4 miles, 86:15 (7:34 avg)
Friday: Rest

No comments: