Monday, September 04, 2006

Why alcohol and 20 milers don't mix . . .

But first . . . something completely different:



So, Saturday, thanks to Ernesto's aftershocks, I hit the gym for the first time in long time for an "easy" 6. I was running on the treadmill and saw what I thought was one of the best college football signs I've seen in a while. The program was GameDay on ESPN, and the hosts were on location at Georgia Tech doing pre-game analysis of the GT-Notre Dame game that'd occur that afternoon. Game Dayy is set up with the analyst desk in the foreground and hoardes of screaming college students in the background. The last piece of this story, GT has an All-American wide receiver named Calvin Johnson.

So, the sign . . . It says:

Calvin
Defeating the
Catholics
Since 1509.

Despite the fact that 1509 was John Calvin's birth-year, and he didn't publish his major works until 30 years later, I remain impressed that someone came up with these connections. AND, it's all the more impressive because I'm sure that someone came up with that sign after downing at least a six-pack of beer. I only saw it once; Erin thought that ESPN had probably decided to cut away from it before it offended someone. Great. You can't even make clever remarks about guys who've been dead for 400 years any more.

For the run, I did an easy 5 and then dropped it to MP (6:58) for the last mile.

On Sunday, I took a hit of LSD -- 21.5 miles in 2:58:30 (8:18 pace). That's significantly slower than my last 20 miler, but I intentionally slowed the first miles way down and I added in some extra hills (the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges) early so that on the later miles I'd be more fatigued. And, of course, 8:18/m is well within Pfitzenger's recommendation to run LSD's within 20% of MP. Fine run, pleasant day, I'd be up for more but . . .

After the run . . . it's Labor Day weekend. So, last night I pulled my dehydrated, fuel deprived body over for a gathering of folks who're off work today. Didn't have all that much to drink (a couple wines, a couple beers, a Manhattan), but felt totally hammered this morning. Note to self, give at least a day after the long run before a night out on the town. Anyway, at least today's a quasi-off-day from the office.

Week in Review
Monday9.0 miles70:007:47/mile
Tuesday7.0 miles53:007:34/mile
WednesdayRest/Travel -- --
Thursday8.0 miles60:557:37 avg
5X600@2:10
FridayRest -- --
Saturday6.0 miles46:007:40/mile
1 mile@6:58
Sunday21.5 miles2:58:308:18/mile
Total51.5 Miles -- --


That makes three of the last four weeks over 50 miles. Rockin'.

3 comments:

mouse said...

I have learned the "alcohol + long run = baaaaad" lesson the hard way as well. hope the hangover wasn't too bad.

oh, and have I mentioned that I looooooooove me some ESPN gameday? mostly because I *heart* kirk herbstreit. shhhh... don't tell anyone I said that though (he is, after all, a buckeye).

nyflygirl said...

dude, we had an almost identical day yesterday, as i wrote (though 5 miles less than you.) and i too imbibed a little much sunday nite as well. appletini, cosmo, watermelon martini, blueberry martini, strawberry mojito. yum. though didn't feel too bad this morning. guess i slept it off enough.

Thomas said...

Nice long run, but your rehydration strategy does indeed have room for improvement. I'm surprised you felt quite rough though - you didn't drink that much!