Thursday, July 27, 2006

Acclimation




So, I must be becoming acclimatized to the warm weather. Whenever you look at the weather at 5:30 a.m., it's 80 degrees with 82% humidity and you think, "Gee, that's not so bad," then it must be August! Six days of running in a row are down. I have to say that I'm glad that's over. Despite the strong pace for today's BS Run (80:15 for 10.33 miles, 7:46 pace) I could really feel the fatigue of the past week. Start to finish. But it's good to have moved some weekend runs because now I know that I can definitely relax over the weekend. Erin and I are celebrating our wedding anniversary (today!) by going to a B&B Saturday night. Now, over this weekend the last things that would be acceptable would be for me to (i) get up Sunday morning at the B&B and leave to do a run or (ii) me not going running but being cranky because I missed my goals. And since I'm a spaz, the second possibly's too much of a risk to not plan for. I don't want to be a jerk and ruin things, so a little fatigue now's well worth it. And Saturday, we're going to have bubbly, dinner and relax! Fantastic.

Weird stuff's been happening in my neighborhood. I know I've mentioned neighborhood composition a lot, but again . . . it's older ethnic Italians, hipster spillover from the East Village, blue collar Puerto Ricans and Orthodox Jews. With this mix, it might not be surprising to learn that there aren't a lot of people out running at 6 am. In fact, in the last 2 weeks, I've seen exactly . . . 2 (between my apartment and the Williamsburg Bridge.) So, when I started regularly running in the neighborhood in March (treadmilled through the winter) I was something of an anomaly. People out gave me looks that ran the full spectrum from complete indifference to incedulity that some skinny, sweatty, white kid with no tattoos or leather was running through the neighborhood. However, now that I'm a regular that's all changed. Today marks the FOURTH time in the last two weeks that I've been stretching out in front of my apartment after a run and some older gentleman's come by to offer encouragement. I've gotten thumbs up, "good job"s, and "way to go"s. All have been from older men -- well over 60 -- often either overweight or having some other ailment, e.g., one was walking with a cane. The whole thing's weirding me out a little bit.

Anyway, this'll be the last post until next week because of this weekend's trip. Bye all. Have a wonderful weekend.

1 comment:

nyflygirl said...

that picture of the sunrise is gorgeous!!

good for you for getting the (running) work done early-hope you both enjoy your weekend and your anniversary!!

(btw...did you see the latest news about the Tour...say it ain't so!! like that race needs even more controversy...)