Thursday, July 06, 2006

Wash Out


After the fireworks, tired people on the way home.














Central Park from the Top of the Rock














Erin and me before the fireworks on the Top of the Rock














Before I get into the post proper, do any of you out there have nipple issues while running? If so, I'd love some suggestions. It's not so much that they hurt, but that I feel like a chump with a bloody singlet. I'd just prefer not to look incompetent.

I started my run in the rain this morning and it was fantastic. Overcast, 60 degrees, light rain, you couldn't ask for better weather. Especially when, after about 3 miles, the rain moved out and I was left with 60 degrees and light breeze. Ah... On the downside, I've never been stopped by so many stoplights! First it was Rodney, then Roebling, then I was stopped on Delancey (both exiting and reentering the Williamsburg Bridge), Grand, N. 6th, Rodney again . . . For the record, that's about 75% of the lights I passed on this run. Must have spent 2-3 minutes waiting on lights. Anyway, today's run was 8.6 mile out-n-back that included 10 striders and took 65:15 (7:35/mi). Legs felt much fresher than Tuesday although still a little fatigued, but with two easy days coming up they should be at about 85% or so by Sunday.

There's a double meaning to today's title. Yesterday I was welcomed back to the office after the holiday with some projects, which had been sitting quietly like pomegranates on the countertop, exploding in the same way that a pomegranate will spray everything within 15 feet when you cut into it. Despite all that, I still figured some long days and some weekend work would get things stabilized. Then (and here's the washout) while in a "we've got to put out a fire" meeting, Senior Partner says to me, "Jon, I want you to work with me on X deal starting tomorrow." I, of course, did what any junior associate would in that situation. So much for July . . .

3 comments:

Thomas said...

Try vaseline, or something similar for your nipples.
Or you could put a sticking plaster over both of them.

Personally I haven't tried either option, as I don't have a problem in that area, but both solutions have been suggested by other runners in the past.

nyflygirl said...

wonder how many of those people sitting in the subway station wound up missing their stops :-D nice pictures-looked like a good time!!

ah yes, work threatening to put a damper on what looked to be a perfectly good summer? i hear ya-i think last month was sorta the calm before the storm for me (and the storm looks to be hitting this week.) you have a more entertaining way of describing it though :)

Derek said...

I use Nipguards, they work really well. You can get 'em from Road Runner Sports or I think some of the runner stores in the city.
http://www.nipguards.com/