Sunday, July 02, 2006

Seventeen Weeks to Go

Man, it's a scorcher today! Ninety-six in the shade. Despite the heatwaves rising form the street, when I woke up this morning I knew that I had to do a least a short run today, or I wouldn't be able to walk tomorrow.

Near my apartment in Williamsburg is an Italian ice shop. The shop's not like those shacks that they have in the suburbs, oh no. This place is a rented out storefront filled with rows of coolers of Italian ice and sherbet. You order from these highschool girls at their summer jobs at a walkup window on the sidewalk. The treats are really great as they're mixed with real fruit. My wife got a cheesecake sherbet cream ice last week that actually had graham cracker crust in it!

Nevertheless, I was convinced for the longest time that this place had to be a mob front. I mean, who rents out a storefront on a business plan that can really only produce revenue in the summer? What do you do when it's December and you can't sell ice-cream? This place doesn't have any other offerings. I eventually decided it couldn't be a mob front because it's a chain that exists all over Brooklyn, Jersey and Florida. Anyway, mob front or not, the place is a godsend in this heat. Erin and I went shopping today (I was going to expand my tanktop collection for summer workouts, but ended up dress-shopping for three hours instead) and after traipsing all up and down 14th Street to the west of Union Square, I definitely had to hit up some of Ralph's Italian Ices when I got home. Erin had already gotten Tasti D'Lite, the pseudo-healthy ice cream for the perpetually weight obsessed.

Today in the hot I did an "easy" 3.33 miles, in McCarren Park so that I could run on dirt after yesterday's long run. "Easy" is in quotes because I felt really great once I'd gotten warmed up and ran the distance in 24:15 for about a 7:17 pace. So much for a slow recovery day! The first week's down on my MCM training. Only 17 to go. For the first week, the total was 36.7 miles. Not the most I've ever done in a week, but a solid start to the marathon buildup.


Tuesday
7 miles + 10 strides
52:05 (7:26/mi)
Thursday
9.4 miles
62:30 (7:43/mi)
Saturday
17 miles
2:16:00 (8:00/mi)
Sunday
3.33
24:15 (7:17)
Total
36.73

No comments: