Thursday, July 13, 2006

Rushed and Tired Legs

Short post today for two reasons. One, this morning's 10 miler's left me a little pressed for time. Two, with work having picked up, I don't have all that much to write about. My days since the Fourth have gone thus: Get up, drink two big glasses of water, run, stretch, blog while cooling off, shower, get dressed (hopefully ironed the night before), work until 10, come home, iron (hopefully), go to bed, rinse, repeat. Since I've been at work more or less from 9a to 9:45p for the last week (with the exception of the Flyers HH last Friday) haven't really had a lot of time for exciting personal things. And, although work's been really interesting over the past few weeks, as a lawyer I can't really blog about it. Bummer.

On to the running. My legs are literally fried. This week added a Wednesday run to the schedule to bring the total to 5 days of running per week. Although I was doing 5-6 most weeks in the spring, for marathon training I'd initially dropped it to 4 with the overall volume being the same and each run being a longer workout. Now, I'm reintroducing more workouts to increase overall volume. The upshot (downshot?) of all this is that today was my first time running three days in a row in about a month. Add to that the lingering fatigue of the abortive Bronx Half Marathon, the really annoying DOMS that followed on Monday and Tuesday, 13 hour work days, and a late night last night with some wine (It was my birthday!) and I was dreading today's run. Absolutely woke up this morning thinking, "Do I really, I mean really, want to put myself through this?" But I reminded myself that I needed to try out my new MP3 player Erin gave me for my birthday ("It's small so you can run with it." Thanks Hon!) so after about 15 minutes staring at the ceiling I managed to roll out of bed and go.

The run was ok, even though half-way through the upslope on the Brooklyn Bridge I was beginning to wonder if I'd make it. I listened to Bloc Party's Silent Alarm for the first 30 minutes, but then realized that I was probably going too fast for my legs. So, at a light I switched to the much more mellow Plans by Death Cab for Cutie, which was perfect. Erin and I saw Death Cab in concert a few months ago at the Hammerstein Ballroom with Franz Ferdinand, a great concert band that's also fantastic for fast running. Obviously, they were out of the question today.

Wednesday: 4.1 mile Pulaski Bridge O&B, 31:22 (7:39/mile)
Thursday: 10.25 mile BMW run, 81:30 (7:57/mile)

2 comments:

nyflygirl said...

happy happy birthday!!

sounds like you got a great b-day present...mp3 players rock...i love my iPod nano. unfortunately, I think all the music I like to listen to when running is a little too fast-paced for easy runs but oh well :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked your present. Hope it works better than the last one!

E