Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Feels Like DC

The Fourth of July greated me with 85 degrees and 85 percent humidity when I went for my run at 6:30 this morning. For awhile, I was having flashbacks to summers in Washington, where that was the temp/hum. for any given morning. This was the first time time in a long time that I've actually been able to feel the air as I'm running pushing back against me. Well, I guess that's not quite right because a headwind always pushes back. Let me say, this is the first time that I've felt still air pushing back it me. Heading down First Ave in Manhattan was like running through sludge. Adding up the heat and humidity with the 17 mile run on Saturday and weightlifting yesterday makes for a tired set of legs. Despite everything working against it, today's run was still a solid 94:58 for 12.05 miles (7:53/mile). (I added a lap around the track to the route on the map to get to 12.)

I may have also exacerbated the tiredness of my legs by changing the schedule to frontload my mileage this week, so I can get a couple light days leading into the Bronx Half Marathon on Sunday. I'd originally been scheduled for 8 today, 10 Thursday and 5 Saturday. I've changed it to 12 today, 8 Thursday and 3 Saturday so that I have a mini-taper going into the race. Not really sure how it's going to go, but since my legs probably won't be fully charged and it'll probably be oppressively hot, I'll be happy if I hit close to my Half best of 1:32.

Erin and I are planning to head up to the Top of the Rock to watch this evening's Fourth of July festivities. Hopefully, I'll have some photos up later, but (in addition to the photo below) here's some teaser photos from The Gothamist.

2 comments:

Thomas said...

That's a solid pace for a 12 miler. Take it easy for the rest of the week, and Good Luck for the half on Sunday!

nyflygirl said...

Now who's the all-star? :-) Nice job and enjoy the mini-taper the rest of this week! The unshaded streets of the Bronx await you... :-D