Sunday, July 30, 2006

Decadence



That's how it feels to have two whole days off work! Saturday was the first day I did nothing for my job since July 4. Yay! Sunday, I just feel lazy.

Erin and I had a fantastic vacation day to a Le Refuge Inn, a B&B on City Island, off the coast of the Bronx in the Long Island Sound, which you can get to by subway! We were treated to the owner's room and had a fantastic dinner. I had escargot, peppercorn-encrusted steak and creme brulée -- yum! Erin had . . . Who cares? Did I mention that I had escargot, peppercorn-encrusted steak and creme brulée? YUM! We met another couple from the B&B. They were taking their first vacation from their daughter in the 2 years since she was born and the four of us hit a bar for martinis before dinner. (They were $2.25 EACH! Can't get that in Manhattan!) Unfortunately, husband had a few too many and passed out before dinner. Finally, we were treated to fantastic views of Eastchester Bay, Pelham Bay and the Long Island Sound -- assuming we were willing to walk the staggering distance of 2 blocks across the island. And it was really nice for Erin and me to be able to spend some time together for a couple days since we've both been stretched a little thin over the past month. Of course, when we got back the first thing we did was go get Italian ices from Ralph's. I guess no matter where you go, there's always something you'll miss from home.

At the B&B, Erin was interviewed by News 12: the Bronx -- "As Local As Local News Gets". (Note: this is a pay link! BOO! News shouldn't be for pay.) The station was doing a story on the B&B we were staying at and we were accosted for an interview on our way in -- after we'd been walking around antique and ice cream shops for for the better part of 2 hours in 95˚ heat. All sweaty and gross and just perfect for dinner-time television. Erin did very well on the interview. I, on the other hand, was completely tounge-tied. The interviewer, although an otherwise attractive woman -- about 5'10", slender, athletic build -- had about 10-12 6" long black hairs sticking out of her neck. Every time I was asked a question, I deflected to Erin because I was totally afraid I'd do a Freudian, "This place has great beard . . . uh, I mean bread. And I love the hairs -- chairs, I meant chairs." We apparently got airtime in the Bronx last night at 7.

Otherwise, the weekend's been really relaxing. A very nice way to spend the anniversary.




Me with Eastchester Bay in the background



Erin, chilling in the "nook" in our room



The Lobster House



Me looking cool





Erin showing off



Pelham Bay



And, the week-in-review. Saturday, did what I call the 5 bridge run. This is a very challenging 17.8 mile loop that I recommend for anyone who needs to run an 18-20 flat run (i.e., run this loop instead of the 20). I left it about 1/2 mile short for only 17.2 miles. That was plenty on a hot, hot, hot Saturday morning. As of today, we are at less than 3 months to the MCM. On the one hand, it seems like it's so close. On the other, my god there's a lot of training left to do!



MondayTuesdayWed.ThursdayFridaySaturdaySundayTotal
5.0 miles9.0 miles5.0 miles10.33 milesRest17.2 milesRest46.53
8:56/mT: 4 mile
@6:40
8:19/m7:46/m -- 8:08/m -- --

4 comments:

nyflygirl said...

$2.25 MARTINIS?!?!?!?!

*thunk*

(but the real question was...did they taste like they were worth $2.25, or worth $10? :-p)

sounds like you two had a great weekend-well deserved!!

Jon said...

Mine was Kettle One. Guy had what appeared to be half a bottle of Tanqueray. The trip would have been totally worth it just for the amount we saved on alcohol!

nyflygirl said...

i hope jbl is reading this-that's right up his alley!!

(i tend to go more for what he calls "nonmartini martinis"-cosmos and appletinis and the like...)

Thomas said...

Interviewed on the local news - does that count as your 15 minutes of fame?